The Tennis Academy
Year-round tennis academy
The Newcombe Tennis Academy, a TEAM-FAMILY-TEAM, is more than just a training ground for dedicated and talented young tennis players. It is a family of players, professionals and mentors, unlimited in their goals, by becoming one unified team striving for excellence.
We are a home away from home, where building strong bodies and strong values are the heart of our game. We are professionals longing to develop the entire person, not just the player. We offer a year-round option or summer academy.
- Daily Matchplay
- Tailored Programs with Private Coaches
- Professional Weights Training
- Player Management, Tournament Scheduling & Travel with Coaches to Tourneys
- TECHNIQUE Video Analysis
- 15 Successful Years of 100% College Placement for Seniors
- Family Atmosphere for Player Development on and off the Court
The Tennis Academy offers 27 hard courts, 4 hydro clay courts, a recreation room, pool/spa, state-of-the-art weights and fitness center, and full-time expert trainers. The Tennis Academy utilizes sport psychology to work on the mental aspects of the game as well as video analysis for the technical aspects of the game.One of the strongest areas of our Tennis Academy is our vigorous and intense fitness program. Phil Hendrie, our Director, is one of the top fitness experts in the United States. He conducts a variety of footwork, speed and endurance training, as well as a weekly weight training program.
New Braunfels High School and Oak Run Middle School are repeatedly recognized for academic excellence with SAT scores that surpass both state and national averages. Remote learning options for those attending ORMS & NBHS.
We also have a private school option nearby that provides opportunities of I-20 visas for international students.
Students also have the option of doing an online or homeschooling program of their choice in our classroom under our tutor’s supervision.
The Tennis Academy staff is in constant contact with college coaches and we encourage visits to watch the players in action. Our staff is dedicated to finding a university that fits our students’ academic and tennis standards.
We guide the students through the NCAA registration and clearing house process, take them to SAT and TOEFL tests and develop college recruiting videos. In the past decade, we’ve had 100% college placement!
A coordinated program allows students 4 or more hours training every day without compromising academics in any way.
Newcombe players have attended:
- Georgia Tech
- Ohio State University
- US Military Academy at Westpoint
- Vanderbilt University
- University of Tennessee
- US Air Force Academy
- Furman University
- College of William & Mary
- DePaul University
- Texas A&M
- University of Michigan
- Purdue University
- Florida State University
- University of Texas
- Harvard University
- Colorado State University
- Rice University
- University of Georgia
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Boise State University
- North Carolina State University
The John Newcombe Tennis Academy offers GENEROUS SCHOLARSHIPS to eligible students.
Enrollment is not limited to one year. MOST students do attend both semesters. However, if interested in less than a year, we would be happy to customize your stay based on monthly or weekly terms. We also offer spring and summer programs for those players who wish to spend a few weeks training. We would love to speak to you, provide more details and schedule a visit. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 830.625.9105.
For those players that live in the San Antonio-Austin area, we offer commuter programs to fit every schedule. The Academy practices open to commuters beginning at 10:30 am through 6:30 pm. We can customize a package to fit your needs. Weight training and fitness are also available for commuters.
Meet the Academy Team
Our cadre of tennis professionals are truly unique and special in so many ways and truly embody our “Team-Family” philosophy.
- All are accomplished and dedicated tennis players themselves.
- All are longstanding Newks Tennis Academy team members.
- All are focused on helping every player in the program both on and off the court.
- Quite simply, they are the very best in the industry and are led by the indomitable and ebullient Phil Hendrie.
The Coaching Staff
“With over 40 years of coaching experience, I must say our Academy has the most unique environment. Every staff member and student is treated as family. Our program allows every student the opportunity to reach their true potential with family pride because we all share in each other’s successes.” Phil has coached at the Ranch for over 40 years and has coached many top International and National players.
Director of Athletics
- From Argentina; have been at the Tennis Ranch for 15yr.
- Played Division 1 Tennis for 4 years at The University of Idaho.
- Women’s Tennis Team Assistant Coach at the University of Idaho
- Undergraduate in Sports Science
- Master’s Degree: Leadership in Physical Activity and Recreation
- PTR Certified, level Professional
- Member of Team USA at the Senior World Championships
“Newks Tennis Academy is one of a kind. We combine world-class training for tennis players with a family atmosphere that promotes the development of the student-athlete both on and off the court. Our staff takes pride in the fact that no player is a number here. We get to know each student very well. We have personalized plans that work to help each individual reach their highest potential. I feel lucky to have the best job in the world for the past 15 years; to get to work with kids year-round and see them grow, improve and mature on a daily basis.”
“A native of New Braunfels, I grew up at the John Newcombe Tennis Academy and developed my game under world-class coaches. I played #1 singles and doubles for NB High School and made the 4A State singles final twice. Played Division I tennis at Saint Louis University where I obtained a degree in Communications. After graduation, I became the adult program director and junior program assistant director at Brickell Tennis Club in Miami. In 2012 I decided to re-join the Newks team-family and I have been a full-time member since.”
Passionate and experienced Tennis Coach, Joshua Rollins played for the highly ranked Seward County and then transferred to Division l UTPA, now known as The University Texas Rio Grande Valley. Rollins gained more tennis experience after college competing in pro tournaments. He is also a former No. 1 Texas Open player.
Rollins was the head pro at Great Hills Country Club in Austin, TX before deciding to join the prestigious John Newcombe Tennis Ranch where he has worked for the last 15 years.
“I love working and being a part of Newk’s because of how much we pride ourselves in getting our kids ready for success in college.”
- Stacy Shulzenka – Jumped 2 full UTR points in just her 1st 4 months. Recently signed to a top 25 D1 school North Texas University.
- Drew Hayward – Now a top player in Bs18s, recently signed with D1 Ball State University.
- Aaron Griffin – Joined us in late October and within 2 months won 2 level 6 USTA tournaments and is now competing in level 5 and level 4.
- Katiana Gonzalez – Now one of the top players in the country in Gs16s, Katiana is competing all over the country and has even made it far in several ITF events.
- Madalyn Smelley – Has a rating of 8 UTR, Madalyn recently signed with D2 Dallas Baptist University on a full scholarship.
- Jalina Ingram – Jumped 2 UTR points in her first semester.
- Wes Barnett: #1 in the US B18s top, currently at Rice University
- Blessing Benibo UTR 11, top national doubles player B18s, currently at IUPUI, top national doubles player B18s
- Myles Peterson UTR 10, Nationally Ranked B18s
- Emmanuel Alex: top 50 in the nation B14s
- Cassius Chinlund: top 50 in the nation B14s top 100 in the world B14s
- Katiana Gonzalez: top 20 US G12s
- Li Na: #3 WTA, Aussie Open Champ
- Emina Bektas: University of Michigan NCAA Div. 1
- Lleyton Hewitt: Career high #1 in World ATP Singles
- George Goldhoff: UT Austin NCAA Div. 1
- Ryan Harrison: Roland Garros Doubles Champion
- Liza Fieldsend University of North Carolina State NCAA Div. 1
- Michael Venus: Roland Garros Doubles Champion
- Lilly Kimbell: University of Georgia NCAA Div. 1
- Harrison Adams: Texas A&M NCAA Div. 1
- Ellen Tsay: Stanford University NCAA Div. 1
- Sam Adams: Texas Tech NCAA Div. 1