Meet Our Academy Team
Our cadre of tennis professionals are truly unique and special in so many ways and truly embody our “Team-Family” philosophy.
- All are accomplished and dedicated tennis players themselves.
- All are longstanding Academy team members.
- All are focused on helping every player in the program both on and off the court.
- Quite simply, they are the very best in the industry and are led by the indomitable and ebullient Phil Hendrie.
PHIL HENDRIE | Academy Director
– Phil Hendrie
JIMMY BROWN | Assistant Director
Coaching Career – Head Pro at Saddlebrook for eleven years, where he worked with Pete Sampras, Jennifer Capriati, Ashley Harkleroad, Mardy Fish and many top juniors and collegiate players.
MARIEL TINNIRELLO | Director of Athletics
- Played Division 1 Tennis for 4 years at the University of Idaho.
- Women’s Tennis Team Assistant Coach at the University of Idaho
- Undergraduate in Sports Science
- Master’s Degree: Recreation
- PTR Certified, level Professional
“Newks Tennis Academy is one of a kind. We combine world-class training for tennis players with a family atmosphere that promotes the development of the student-athlete both on and off the court. Our staff takes pride in the fact that no player is a number here. We get to know each student very well. We have personalized plans that work to help each individual reach their highest potential. I feel lucky to have the best job in the world for the past 7 years; to get to work with kids year-round and see them grow, improve and mature on a daily basis.”
Li Na #3 WTA, Aussie Open Champ
Lleyton Hewitt Career high #1 in World ATP Singles
Ryan Harrison Career high #43 World ATP Singles
Harrison Adams Texas A&M NCAA Div. 1
Sam Adams Texas Tech NCAA Div. 1
Emina Bektas University of Michigan NCAA Div. 1
George Goldhoff UT Austin NCAA Div. 1
Liza Fieldsend University of North Carolina State
NCAA Div. 1
Lilly Kimbell University of Georgia NCAA Div. 1
Ellen Tsay Stanford University NCAA Div. 1
“The John Newcombe Academy is a family of players, professionals and mentors who are unlimited in their goals, and who become one unified team. We are a home away from home, where building strong players with strong values is the heart of our game. We are professionals longing to develop the entire person, not just the player.”
– JOHN NEWCOMBE